Under one roof, the University Hospital Basel brings together 50 clinics, units and institutes all working together in an interdisciplinary manner. The highest possible degree of quality and safety is ensured by the spatial concentration of the clinics, their clear responsibilities, and a convincing interdisciplinary concept. Thanks to the close co-operation which exists with Switzerland’s oldest university and the cluster of many of the world’s leading life sciences companies in Basel, we are able to guarantee the highest possible standard of university- level medical service. Our highly qualified employees, first-rate medical care and cutting edge technical infrastructure, together with the very latest in scientific expertise, ensure our patients’ well-being, safety and recovery.
The international reputation of the University Hospital Basel attracts numerous patients from Switzerland and abroad. Many of these patients come to us with complex medical problems or following unsuccessful treatments elsewhere. Therefore, many seek a second opinion from the specialists at the University Hospital Basel. A team of patient service managers is dedicated to taking special care of the needs of our private international patients before, during and after their stay at the clinic.
The University Hospital offers the whole range of major medical services, in particular those requiring permanent and interdisciplinary co-operation.
The University Hospital Basel includes the following internationally outstanding centres of excellence:
• The Oncological Centre offers all surgical and non-surgical oncological sub-specialties, in particular for breast cancer, head and neck tumours, lung cancer, gastrointestinal cancers, Hodgkins and non-Hodgkins lymphoma, as well as neuroendocrine tumours.
• The Urology Clinic offers the entire spectrum of minimally invasive and conventional therapy options for urologic diseases. Minimally invasive operatory techniques (laparoscopy, laser, cryotherapy) are of particular focus, being used especially with benign and malignant prostate and kidney diseases.
• The Heart Centre combines cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery. The full range of modern cardiac surgery procedures are offered including off-pump surgery and aortic surgery, with the heart failure programme consisting of the latest in scientifically based cardiac care.
• Orthopaedic and traumatologic surgery are provided with joint reconstruction for complex post-traumatic and degenerative disorders of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and ankle, reconstructive surgery of posttraumatic deformities, instabilities and nonunions of the upper and lower extremities, and advanced techniques in both spine surgery and foot and ankle surgery.
• The Lung Centre is specialised in complex lung diseases such as lung cancer and interstitial lung disease. Patients at risk can be examined through the use of modern imaging and endoscopic techniques, such as PET/CT and endobronchial ultrasound.
The city of Basel is beautifully located at the very heart of Europe, where Switzerland borders on both Germany and France. Globally acclaimed companies make Basel an internationally leading centre for research and the life sciences. The hospital is located right in the city centre, and only a 15-minute drive from the Basel-Mulhouse- Freiburg international airport.